Friday 14 September 2012

Steams Big Picture; 2 Worlds Collide

When I blogged about my changing attitude to computers, I touched upon the fact that Steam were releasing Big Picture mode; a UI that turns the black and white difference between console and computer experience into a nice shade of grey. If you can get a nice shade of grey, I suppose. A few days ago, Big Picture was released into beta, with those who opt into Steams Beta option given the first public test of the feature. As one of those beta boys, I've played around with the experience and I hope to give you an insight as to how important this interface is.

Firstly, one might ask, is what's so interesting about a UI? Well, Steams Big Picture interface is optimised for television. What does that mean? Consider the regular Steam UI. Small text, drop down menus and a fairly cold experience – an interface you wouldn't put on your TV as you most likely wouldn't be able to read the text. Big Picture replaces the small text, drop down menu interface with chunky, square boxes more akin to Xbox360s interface; a solution far better adapted to the TV.

I'm going to take a stab in the dark here. You, the reader, might be thinking this; Why make a User Interface that is optimised for TV when I sit here, on my computer, looking at a monitor and play games with a mouse and keyboard? If that is what your thinking, then Steam has thought it too – the answer is that the Interface isn't just for Mouse and Keyboard – it's been designed for controllers.

More specifically, the Xbox360 controller. PS3 fans, don't worry,there is a way to get your controller to work with the interface. Connecting your controller to the computer while in Big Picture instantly replaces the keyboard instructions with controller buttons. The black and white picture is turning greyer. Big Picture, optimised for TV and navigated by console controller; almost like your on a console, no? Furthermore, many of the multiplatform games, that is games that appear on the 360 and PS3 alongside the PC, have controller support native to said game. Time to take this all for a test.

Once I got my PS3 controller paired to Windows, I plugged my heaterImeanlaptop into the TV by HDMI. With Steam loaded up and the window in front of me, I pressed the PS button. For a lack of a better word, boom! Steams new intro pops in (albeit, on may laptop, jittering). Rather instinctively, I navigate to my games collection and scroll past FM, Company of Heroes and such to the Limbo Demo; a game that was time-exclusive to the 360 and designed more-so with consoles in mind. Couple taps of X and Limbo loads up – no rectangle telling me its launching or pop up which would appear foreign in this interface. With Limbo loaded up, my controller is still working and operating the game. I hit the PS button once more, and I'm greeted with the Big Picture UI layered on Limbo. Back to the game, I sink 20 minutes into the demo before deciding to quit out. Right back to the Big Picture UI.

Although in Beta, the whole experience makes you forget your operating a computer. Big Picture has it's own web browser optimised for the controller, as well as the friend list easily accessible for chating with your fellow gamers. Steam have got around the whole difficulty typing messages by including a new type of keyboard to use with the controller; the daisywheel. From my experience, it compares to the PSPs keyboard, although circular and generally more easy and fast to use. The store is also included in Big Picture, allowing you to browse for games and even purchase – all optimised in the new UI.

There are, at this stage, obviously a few bugs. I've had a little bit of trouble getting the search function to work and I've had a couple of times a sound bug. However, these bugs will be highlighted and fixed. There is no word how long the beta will last but I fully expect that when they remove the “Beta” tag this new interface will be ready to stand up to, and possibily beat, consoles interfaces.

A console experience, on your PC. Games optimised for controllers, being launched by controllers though the UI of the biggest game store on the PC. All that's required is a PC that can play said games (easily achievable for less then £300) and a HDMI cable. The colour is well and truly grey now.

No comments:

Post a Comment