Thursday 30 August 2012

Laptops: Place on lap only if you want to become sterile


As I write my first blog post since I was 15, I had to think about what I was going to write. Ideas, or the lack of them, swirled in my head. Should I write about BF3? My latest game MGS: HD Collection? My private life regarding University, new pets or how I'm going to soon turn 22 and want to become 11? All good ideas for future blogs perhaps, but slowly there was one idea that kicked and screamed to the forefront. It can't be ignored. It's my bloody shit laptop.

I used to be among the Master Race. Windows XP, BF2 and the occasional typed up Microsoft Word school report was my world. I upgraded certain aspects when they became slower and apart from a lack of sunlight, there was no real draw backs. But times changed. University loomed, a social life beckoned and the desktop in the corner which I built for myself became something that was to inflexible, to impracticable for my new life. I bought a laptop.

Now, I'm going to skip over my first laptop. I'm going to focus on my second laptop. The laptop I am currently typing on; HP Pavilion DV7. Bought for around £500 at the time, this piece of kit was supposed to be the best of both worlds for me. I could game on it, an option no longer available to me since I broke my desktop while drunk (whoops), and it was portable with a lovely battery life.

Oh how things turned sour.

First thing to go wrong is something that is always a danger with laptops; overheating. I tried to play, I believe, The Sims 2 on the laptop. Hold the laughter, it's a good game. Anyhow, the laptop shut down on me. Critical error. Whah? This laptop should be able to handle a game released in 2004 surely? It had not gone unaware that the laptop was running extremely hot. So, I got into contact with HP. They reassured me it was a well known problem and they could fix it. 2 weeks later, I was back on The Sims 2 and it was still spewing out more heat then my oven.

Fine, I thought, I'll just have to give up on the games. £500 for some technology that has a dedicated graphics card and I can't play 2004 releases. I'll take the bullet and limber on. I'm a University student! Forces me to study.

Only, the evil bastard of a thing decides to spring another surprise on me. It's not just games that causes my £500 laptop to die. Microsoft Word, take a bow, you too can boil my laptop! Currently typing this my hands are almost to the point of sweating (lovely, I know). Quick download of a hardware monitor tells me my processor is currently 76c. Fabulous.

Now, I know not every laptop radiates heat almost as hot as a slow cooker when using a word processing package. The next fault that occurs is the battery. 9 months into ownership, a big X appears on my the battery icon. Big Xs are never good. The charger that could last 2 and a half hours off charge soon lasted 30 minutes. What next to go wrong? The charger. The connection inside my laptop where the charger goes in becomes wonky. Now, unless my laptop is perfectly still the laptop will go off charge and turns off.

Is there a point to this sad story? Beyond me venting, yes. This is a warning.

Laptops are walking disasters. My girlfriends laptop has died, my laptop before it, the keys fell off. My dads laptop? The screen died. My brothers laptop went the same way as mine. Even Alienware laptops, of which a Uni friend had, spontaneously combust from heat and have to be held up by books to avoid melting into the table its on. They can't be upgraded so as to make them last and if a key falls off the keyboard, typing becomes a nightmare.

These days, tablets are coming of age. I once viewed them as wastes of money – why buy a tablet when you have a laptop? The reason is tablets don't overheat, are user friendly and do almost everything a laptop can do for much less then £500. The Google Nexus 7, my first tablet, has retired my laptop to Football Manager and Word Processing – something I could do on my Nexus is I bought an external keyboard. Bare in mind, FM causes 90+ heat.

My laptop is practically dead to me. Waste of bloody space.

No comments:

Post a Comment